Chronicle & History
Journey through time
Hikers and climbers were already spending weekends at Fischen in Allgäu at the end of the 19th century.
Then in winter the skiers came too
The newly founded "Verkehrs- und Verschönerungsverein" association assumed the task adapting the area to the wishes and needs of visitors. Footpaths were built and advertisements for Allgäu hospitality placed in national newspapers.
The first ski lift in Fischen was built in 1953 to promote the growing trend for skiing; and for variety in summer, a sports field was erected in Weidach. Over 200,000 overnight stays were already achieved in 1958.
Its builders, Alfons and Maria Karg, had taken over the 'Krone' inn at Fischen in 1930. In keeping with the boldness of the early 50s, the Kargs began building the "Haus Rosenstock" guesthouse in Sonnengrund, which was completed and opened in 1954.
Alfons Karg's personality - he also steered the destiny of Fischen as its mayor from 1952 - 1962 - and the charm of his wife Maria in creating a pleasant atmosphere for guests, made the "Rosenstock" increasingly popular.
A Family Business
The benefits of running a family business were noticeable as daughter Elvia and son Elmar were growing up and took on their first tasks. The sad and early loss of both parents within 6 years meant son Elmar taking over the establishment in 1964.
Rosenstock in the course of time
Together with wife Ursula, he created today's Hotel Rosenstock in several building phases. Improvements to the original building, more bedrooms and additions such as the terrace, indoor pool and sauna; plus a redesign of the public areas created a new "home" for numerous guests.
The hotel was given over to son Stefan on 1 January 2017. He now manages the Rosenstock together with his wife Anja.
Then and now
Hotel Rosenstock Milestones
Opening of the Hotel-Pension Rosenstock in Sonnengrund with a restaurant and 30 beds.
Addition of 15 double rooms - today's middle building.
All "old" rooms in the main building got their own bathrooms, making the term "rooms with running hot & cold water - shared shower" redundant.
Building of 8 large double rooms and nine single rooms, plus an indoor pool and the first small sauna area.
Redevelopment of the original building - with the addition of eight new double rooms. The restaurant was fully renovated at the same time, with an extension to the south and east. The café terrace was also redesigned.
Extension of the grounds westwards with a new parkland area, sunbathing lawn, garden pond and stream.
Redevelopment of the hotel lobby: significant extension with a new hotel bar, lobby and new access to restaurant with additional seating for around 30.
Extension to the existing sauna area, creating two new sauna cabins, sanarium, an infrared cabin and a small quiet room for relaxation.
Full refurbishment of the 15 existing "Nebelhorn" double rooms and the nine single rooms incl. bathrooms. Nine rooms (incl. bathrooms) were also refurbished in the main building. Enlargement of reception.
Construction of the WaterLounge with hanging seats and relaxation island. A new air-conditioning system was also installed at this time.